At Talis Capital, we are committed to a diverse, inclusive and harassment-free workplace, which extends to all interactions with the Talis Capital community, including third-parties and entrepreneurs. We aim to provide a healthy work environment and culture: one where everyone is respected, welcome and included, and one free from discrimination, harassment, and intimidation for any reason.
Talis Capital requires the highest standards from the team in their general conduct. This includes a zero-tolerance approach to discrimination and harassment, and equal treatment regardless of an individual’s characteristics including age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy and maternity (Protected Characteristics).
To create and maintain this culture of respect, this document lays out our expectations and outlines a process for anyone to raise concerns about behaviour.
We expect everyone associated with Talis Capital to abide by this code of conduct including, but not limited to, employees, contractors, service providers, founders, investors, mentors, advisors and of course the entrepreneurs and businesses we invest in.
This code of conduct applies in any setting associated with Talis Capital, including offices, work events, social outings, conferences, homes, phone calls, video conferences, emails, chat, social media, blogs, or other online communication.
This code of conduct does not form part of any employee’s contract of employment and Talis Capital may amend it at any time.
Comments or behaviour that discriminates against, stereotypes, or harms members of the community will not be tolerated. This includes but is not limited to:
· Exclusion or victimisation based on the Protected Characteristics
· Treating someone less favourably or limiting their opportunities based on any of the Protected Characteristics
· Comments, slurs, jokes, statements, questions or gestures that are derogatory or offensive to an individual’s or group’s characteristics
· Promoting negative stereotypes relating to individual’s or group’s characteristics
· Racial or ethnic slurs, insults or jokes
· Intolerance toward religious customs
· Mimicking, mocking or belittling a person’s disability
· Homophobic, biphobic or transphobic comments or slurs
· Discriminating against pregnant people or mothers
· Declaring (‘outing’) someone’s religion or sexuality or threatening to do so against their will
· Deliberate, unwarranted exclusion from a business practice, policy or rule or mandating business attendance in a way that may constitute indirect discrimination
Harassment is unwanted or unwelcome words, actions, or behaviours that create an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating, or offensive environment for an individual or group of people. Talis Capital will not tolerate harassment or discrimination based on any of the above Protected Characteristics.
Sexual harassment is behaviour of a sexual nature that creates an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating, or offensive environment for an individual or group or violates their dignity. This includes unwelcome sexual advances, obscene remarks, comments about an individual’s body and unwelcome physical contact. Talis Capital will not tolerate conduct which amounts to sexual harassment.
Examples of sexual harassment include but are not limited to:
· Suggestive or overly personal comments about an individual’s body or physical appearance
· Sexually suggestive comments or gestures towards an individual
· Invading personal space in a sexual way
· Unwelcome physical contact of a sexual nature
· Persistent unwelcome questions about someone’s marital or relationship status, sexual preferences or sexual conduct
· Treating someone unfavourably (or suggesting that someone will be treated unfavourably) if they do not submit to conduct of a sexual nature
Bullying is intimidating or offensive behaviour or an abuse of power which attempts to undermine an individual or group. All forms of bullying are unacceptable under this policy, not just that which relates to the Protected Characteristics set out above.
Examples of bullying include but are not limited to:
Shouting, aggressive behaviour or threats
Spreading malicious rumours about members of staff
Inappropriately criticising or undermining workers in front of colleagues
Reporting and Enforcement
We strongly encourage everyone to report any violations of this code of conduct by following the below procedures:
1. If you feel comfortable doing so, tell the person or people who engaged in the harassing, discriminating or bullying behaviour, that their actions are not welcome and must stop. You may also decide to explain to them the impact of their behaviour on you and/or your co-workers.
2. If you do not feel comfortable speaking directly to the person who engaged in the unwanted behaviour, report the incident verbally or in writing to any member of the team at Talis.
3. If you feel uncomfortable with the above please contact email@example.com that is monitored by our code of conduct board which is made up of the following individuals:
· Rohini Finch, Co-Founder
· Matus Maar, Co-Founder & Managing Partner
· Thomas Williams, General Partner
· Kirill Tasilov, General Partner
· Alexandra Radu, Finance Director
We take any incidents relating to the code of conduct very seriously and complaints will be dealt with in a discrete and confidential manner. Reported incidents will be investigated by Talis Capital in a fair, impartial, timely, and thorough manner. People involved will be given the opportunity to present relevant information which will be considered as part of the process so that Talis Capital can reach a reasonable conclusion.
Talis Capital will take the appropriate action to resolve the reported incident and will inform those involved of the conclusion that has been reached.
Violation of this policy will be dealt with under the disciplinary procedure and could include sanction up to and including termination of employment. If a person with whom Talis Capital does business engages in harassment or discrimination, Talis Capital will take appropriate action to resolve the incident.
Monitoring and Review
This code of conduct is reviewed from time to time by the team. We will continue to review its effectiveness to ensure it is achieving its objectives. We also review our policies with an employment lawyer on a regular basis to make sure that we are in line with the most recent legislation.